Monday, May 14, 2007

Demise of the Florida Bass Fishery

My first day as a "Blogger". I wanted to display my distaste for many things I see happening to the Florida Bass Fishery as I am an avid bass fisherman. For example, within the last week or so, a large well known bass organization sponsored a tournament that was held on the Kissimmee Chain of Lakes near Orlando. After the bass were released, a fish kill was seen with over a hundred dead fish! Check out this link for more information http://lledit.us.publicus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070511/COLUMNISTS0603/705110412/1016/SPORTS09

I love fishing bass tournaments, but what happened here? Were there no aerated tanks at the weigh in? Were the fish released in a low oxygenated area like a canal? Were all the contestants allowed to bring their fish to the weigh scales at the same time? Something was definitely done wrong here as most catch and release tournaments have a less than 10% mortality. I think Florida bass clubs do a much better job than this! I hope there will be a letter of apology from the organization as well as what will be done in the future to prevent this kind of thing! I'm not a PETA type, but I want our fishery to continue for both me and future genrations! I have a direct link to this blog at http://www.floridabasslakes.com/
South Florida Bass Lakes, Bass fishing tips, techniques and maps to South Florida Lakes.

Check out my new site at http://www.floridabassfishing.us

My next post will talk about the "craterfish" that's really hurting our bass fishery!
The Largemouth Herald.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.